Like healthcare professionals around the world, W27 saw a sharp decline in the number of patients we were able to see this year and performed far fewer diagnostic and musculoskeletal imaging procedures. Covid-19 caused a steep drop in demand as the country went into lockdown, followed by different regional tiers. However, did this mean we were twiddling our thumbs? Not at all.
Highlights this year
This year has been one of the busiest ever in terms of musculoskeletal research, and the delivery of online teaching and lectures. Here are some of the highlights of our year…
- Article in The Journal of Arthroplasty, September 2020 co-authored by Subhasis Basu: Study to Assess the Rate of Adverse Reaction to Metal Debris in Hip Resurfacing at Minimum 13-Year Follow-up
- Article in Skeletal Radiology, July 2020 co-authored by Subhasis Basu: An OrthoRadiological review of superior capsular reconstruction in the shoulder
- UK Imaging & Oncology Online, June 2020: Moderator for a scientific session on shoulder imaging including Professor Len Funk to nearly 500 delegates
- Went through a detailed process to recruit and appoint the first Clinical Fellow in Musculoskeletal Radiology at Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- A new book, Ultrasound in Rheumatology – A Practical Guide for Diagnosis, is coming out in early 2021, along with a series of new articles in scientific journals.
Carrying out research and teaching is a vital part of the work we do here at W27. This is because it is important to continually expand and enhance our knowledge and understanding of the human body and share what we have learned with our colleagues across healthcare. In this way our patients continue to benefit from the very highest standards of musculoskeletal imaging and diagnostics.
Working collaboratively with other health professionals has always been at the heart of our practice and we are in regular contact with colleagues from orthopaedics and physiotherapy, sports medicine and rheumatology as well as GPs and advanced practitioners. We share knowledge and expertise and, in complex cases, are able to troubleshoot and devise innovative solutions to problems, sometimes in collaboration with a medicolegal team.
Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have also had restrictions in meeting physically. Subsequently, a number of private online regional multidisciplinary teams have been set up, where I participate with other Orthopaedic surgeons, physiotherapists and microbiologists to ensure our patients continue to benefit from the very highest standards of care and optimise musculoskeletal imaging.
Ultimately the aim is always to optimise care to meet the individual needs and expectations of patients and ensure the best possible quality of life. It’s about weighing up the best way to treat or manage your particular condition alongside your age, lifestyle and general state of health.
To find out more about our ground-breaking work in musculoskeletal research, follow us on Facebook. If you would like to find out more about the best way to manage your particular condition, contact us for a diagnosis or to discuss the treatment options.
W27 are here to help
W27 provides fast, accurate diagnosis of musculoskeletal symptoms and conditions using the latest state-of-the-art imaging facilities.
For your appointment there is a choice of locations:
The OrthTeam Centre Ohm Building – 168 Barlow Moor Road, Manchester, M20 2AF
The John Charnley Wing, Wrightington Hospital – Hall Lane, Appley Bridge, Wigan, WN6 9EP
Euxton Hall Hospital – Wigan Road, Euxton, Chorley, PR7 6DY
The Spire Manchester – 170 Barlow Moor Road, Didsbury, Manchester, M20 2AF
HCA The Wilmslow Hospital – 52 Alderley Road, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 1NY
MedSerena Upright MRI Centre – 26-28 The Boulevard, Manchester, M20 2EU
Information about our Fees can be found here.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss your options with a specialist, please contact the team to book an initial consultation.