Patients sometimes seek a second opinion after receiving a diagnosis for a musculoskeletal condition. There can be a number of different reasons for this but peace of mind is one of the primary ones. Before you embark on a programme of treatment – which might include surgery that can carry risk or may have a…
- Musculoskeletal (MSK) and Sports Imaging Radiologist
- MRI Arthrograms to diagnose problems centred inside joints (e.g. Shoulders, Hips, Wrists, Elbows, Knees, Ankles)
- Diagnostic reporting of X-rays, CT and MRI scans
- Diagnostic MSK ultrasound (USS) scanning
- Developing Image-guided treatments to complement conventional physiotherapy and surgical approaches – e.g. USS-guided injections for tendons, joints and soft tissues
- Dry needling of tendons
- A novel technique for USS-guided injection and release of trigger finger
- Treatment of Calcific Tendinitis using Barbotage (a fine needle to break up areas of calficiation).
- Treatment of frozen shoulder using Hydrodilatation (a quick injection and stretching technique under image-guidance)
- Image-guided injection of steroids (cortisone)
- USS-guided Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments
Experience & training:
Dr Subhasis Basu was born and bred in Wigan with his schooling and education completed in Lancashire, Greater Manchester and London. His medical training and education has taken him full circle around the world, following which he was appointed as a Consultant Musculoskeletal Radiologist with his NHS base at Wrightington, Wigan & Leigh NHS Foundation Trust. He feels incredibly fortunate with immense pride and job gratification, that he is able to help, provide and give support back to patients within the local community and wider regions, from where he essentially grew up.
He completed his medical degree at St Bartholomew’s and The Royal London School of Medicine & Dentistry, University of London. He undertook postgraduate Clinical Radiology training in Manchester before returning to London to complete a Musculoskeletal and Sports Imaging Fellowship at Chelsea & Westminster hospital prior to taking up his Consultancy.
Dr Basu is a keen and passionate teacher and educator. He holds active educational and clinical supervisory roles for radiology trainees, sonographers, radiographers, sports medicine trainees, as well as supervisor to national and international fellowships/observerships. He currently holds an academic position of a visiting Professor at Manchester Metropolitan University. He believes in a holistic, patient-centred approach and supports educational courses for all.